Friday, April 8, 2011

Back From Sabbatical

I obviously took a break from blogging. I also took a break in my 40-day challenge.

RA is really a manic disease. While most of the time I feel great and something like yoga only does an RA body good, out of nowhere this disease can bring me down. Hard. And during this challenge I had been on SUCH a high, feeling so great and proud of my body for pushing through, I wasn't really prepared for what this 40-day challenge would look like if I had a flare ( a bout of disease symptoms). But I did have a flare and I dealt with it the best way I know how. Sleeping 10-15 hours a day and battling on-going fatigue plus joint cramps is never fun, but I've gotten through it and I'm on the upswing. Getting back into classes just in time for the 3rd and last leg of this race.

There are some great Yoga resources out there to support me (and YOU!) when getting to class just isn't an option. Below are some fantastic ways to continue a yoga practice, whether it is Asanas, Meditation, Visualization or just Education.

YogaGlo.com: YogaGlo is an online community of classes you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home. It's extremely affordable and there are SO MANY classes to choose from, led by truly amazing yoga teachers. If you're thinking about Yoga but are unsure if it's for you, try this affordable option and take the opportunity to try as many different classes as you have time for.

Yoga Journal: Yoga Journal is like the NPR of Yoga. Anything you'd like to know about it can be found here, including articles and updates, plus inspiring stories. When I talk abut Asanas, I usually link it to a pose on Yoga Journal because their pictures and instruction are so easy to understand.

Snatum Kaur: Snatum Kaur's voice is nothing short of magical. This music can truly transform a yoga practice of Asana and/or Meditation. Her lifelong (literally) yoga journey is amazing and inspiring and can be read here. I would encourage anyone seeking healing and practice through music to purchase some of her music.

Spirit Voyage: Spirit Voyage is the music mega-store of Yoga and Meditation music. Plus, you can find other cool yoga stuff there too, such a clothes and props. Great choices and affordable prices!

The Secret Power of Yoga: A great read that has joined me in this 40-day challenge. This book is special because it is the first time a woman has translated the Yoga Sutras. A very inspiring and uplifting read, Secret Power is a great way to understand the "how and why" of Yoga.

Going To Pieces Without Falling Apart: Someone gave me this book 15 years ago and it still sits next to my bed, there when I need a little perspective. Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness by Dr. Mark Epstein is not a book intended to convert you to Buddhism. Rather, it serves more as a guide on how to live life more wholly, to forgive ourselves when we fail and to find valuable lessons in everything we do, even the mistakes. LOVE THIS BOOK. While it's not about Yoga directly, it is a great guide to creating a mindset of peace and understanding, both assets to any Yoga practice.

Thank you for your patience during my journey and for continuing to follow it, bumps in the road and all. I hope you are inspired to find a little peace and understanding in your life and feel like you have a good handful of resources to do so!

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment